Version 0.4. Subject to change in backwards-incompatible ways.
Funicular is a system that semi-automates the creation of development environments on eclectic architectures.
"Semi-automate" means it automates what it can, and provides repeatable instructions for you to follow for what it can't.
"Development environment" means an environment in which you can build (and perhaps even write) software. Thus it is typically populated with programming language interpreters and compilers, debuggers, text editors, and the like.
"Eclectic architectures" is not terribly-well defined, but it includes retrocomputing and esoteric architectures. Basically, if you've got an emulator for it, and installation images for it, you might be able to install and outfit and run a system for it, using Funicular.
It's kind of like a Vagrant for the lunatic fringe, eh?
It is currently a work in progress. The current released version of Funicular is version 0.4, but this means next to nothing.
It currently supports:
- i386 running NetBSD under QEMU
- i386 running FreeDOS under QEMU
- Commodore 64 with a 1541 floppy drive under VICE
- VIC-20 with a 1541 floppy drive under VICE
And partially supports:
- Apple //e running AppleDOS under Linapple
Funicular unifies and replaces the discrete, ad-hoc projects NetBSD-Gondola, FreeDOS-Gondola, and Amiga-Gondola.
cdinto a directory that has a
funicular init system.
- Acquire the appropriate install image.
funicular init setup.
The reference implementation of the
funicular tool is written in Bourne
Funicularfile is also written in Bourne shell, but it mostly
contains configuration, not functionality.
You can look at the settings in the example Funicularfiles in
look them up in the source code in
script/ to divine what they mean.
Because the entire thing was recently rewritten (converting it from Lua to Bourne shell), there really isn't any further documentation right now except for this out-of-date set of notes.
The contents of this repository are in the public domain. This, of course,
applies only to the contents of this repository, and not to the contents of
any particular Funicular you build with with this software. See the file
UNLICENSE in this directory for more information.
git clone https://git.catseye.tc/Funicular/
- Prep for release of 0.4. Chris Pressey 2 years ago
- Handle @'s in catalogs and simplify staging area creation. Chris Pressey 2 years ago
- Update README, nominally in preparation for the next release. Chris Pressey 2 years ago
- `funicular backup` can take a filename. Tweaks to NetBSD funicular. Chris Pressey 2 years ago
- Refactor build script to write out "build cookies". Chris Pressey 2 years ago
- Use two different scripts for populating and building the shelf. Chris Pressey 2 years ago
- `fu restore` named backups; don't `git pull` when not on branch. Chris Pressey 2 years ago
- Working on the populate/build script, rather ad-hoc & experimental. Chris Pressey 2 years ago
- Allow getting distrepos from catalog. Fix catalog. Chris Pressey 2 years ago
- If distrepo already exists, pull it instead of cloning it. Chris Pressey 2 years ago