"Chzrxl, the Living Inkblot." Or is it some sort of self-attracting lava lamp?
This is the reference distribution for Chzrxl, a dynamical system fluid automaton thing devised by Chris Pressey in 2013. It consists of a set of blobs where each blob sways back and forth between two points — the midpoints of two pairs of other blobs. Of course, since those four blobs are also moving, their midpoints move too, and the result can be quite complex and chaotic. In fact, in order to prevent all the blobs from converging to a common point, a certain number of the blobs (say, 5% of them) are typically held fixed while the others move around them.
You can watch it online here: Chzrxl installation at catseye.tc.
To run it locally, clone this repository and open demo/chzrxl.html in a web browser such as Firefox. (Note that, if opened as a local file, the browser may fall back to canvas rendering; to ensure that WebGL is used, you can start a local server, but to be frank it doesn't seem to make much difference at this stage.)
The core behaviour is implemented in src/chzrxl.js and does not rely on PixiJS or any other display layer.
The PixiJS driver and visuals are defined in demo/chzrxl-pixi-launcher.js.
git clone https://git.catseye.tc/Chzrxl/
- Use dam-plus-widgets-web.js v0.1, have separate controls panel. Chris Pressey 4 months ago
- Create UI using DAM. Chris Pressey 8 months ago
- Allow forceCanvas without reloading the page. Chris Pressey 11 months ago
- Less taxing visual effect. Chris Pressey 11 months ago
- Checkpoint Pixi.js effect (blurring). It slows it down a lot. Chris Pressey 11 months ago
- Update README, now that it is installed on catseye.tc. Chris Pressey 11 months ago
- Add tagline. Correct the year of creation. Chris Pressey 11 months ago
- Describe the behaviour more fully in the README. Chris Pressey 11 months ago
- Write the launcher in the style that has become conventional here. Chris Pressey 11 months ago
- Add control panel with control to select percent to hold fixed. Chris Pressey 11 months ago